Sunday 26 April 2009

Mixtape - The 20th Century Fox's Favourite Tracks

In no particular order and off the top of my head because I have cakes in the oven...

Kenny Loggins :: ‘I’m Free (Heaven Helps The Man)’from Footloose
‘Footloose’ would be the obvious track to put in a movie Top 10, but ‘I’m Free’ just pips it. It features in the climax of the movie, where the ban on music and dancing (yes, really – but it is set in Utah. John Lithgow is essentially the Taliban) is lifted, and the kids can hold their dance. Victory for Kevin Bacon.

M.I.A. :: ‘Paper Planes’from Slumdog Millionaire
I’m a fully paid-up member of the Slumdog bandwagon, but I liked this the first time round. And the second time. And now the third time.

The Who :: ‘Baba O’ Riley’ from the trailer for Frost/Nixon
Musical wizardry from start to finish. It almost made me want to see Frost/Nixon, but then I remembered I can’t bear Michael Sheen.

Feist :: ‘We’re All In The Dance’ from Paris, Je T’aime
Simple and sweet; I love Feist’s voice. I can't wait for New York, I Love You.

Sha Na Na :: ‘Born To Hand Jive’ from Grease
We have a ban on Grease songs at Straight To Video because we don’t want it to sound like a hen night. But I like to sneak this one into every set. I defy anyone to listen to this song and not smile.

Cyndi Lauper :: ‘Goonies R’ Good Enough’from The Goonies
If my memory serves me correctly, you see Cyndi Lauper singing this on the TV while Josh Brolin works out in the living room. Plus she had a cameo role on Gossip Girl - what's not to love?

Rolling Stones :: ‘Gimme Shelter’ – from The Departed and Adventures In Babysitting
My favourite Stones track ever. I should probably act cool and say I love the way this track is used in the opening scene of The Departed… But it actually came to my attention when it was used in (the brilliant) Adventures In Babysitting.

The Smiths :: ‘Please Let Me Get What I Want’ – from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and Pretty In Pink
Ferris Bueller has a beautiful instrumental version of the song by The Dream Academy.

America :: ‘Horse With No Name’ – from Hideous Kinky
Hideous Kinky is the little indie film Kate Winslet chose to do after the mammoth success of Titanic. It’s an adaptation of my favourite book of the same name, by Esther Freud. I love the gentle, folky quietude of this song.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers :: ‘It’ll All Work Out’ – from Elizabethtown
Worst. Film. Ever. Cameron Crowe is overrated, but as an ex-Rolling Stone writer, what he does know how to get right in his films are the soundtracks. And Elizabethtown is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Add to Technorati Favorites